I was searching a recipe for South Indian "thengai biscuit" and found this. It almost tasted the same. These yummy coconut balls are mildly sweet and full of flavor.
Recipe adapted from Saras Yummy Bites
I tried with 1/4th of the measurements and that yielded 5 macaroons. Yeah... I know... The picture above shows only 4 after baking😝... It was so tempting and I impatiently gobbled one😆. Out from the oven, straight into my tummy 😋😊
Sweetened condensed milk - 200 grams
Milk - 60 ml
Maida - 16 grams
Sweetened shredded coconut flakes - 135 grams
Semolina / Rava - 15 grams
Cardamom Powder - 5 grams
Baking soda - A pinch
Salt - A pinch
1. Mix condensed milk & milk together well with wooden spoon or whisk.
2. Then add semolina, maida, baking soda, cardamom powder & salt and mix it well.
3. Add the coconut flakes to this mixture & mix. The batter will be firm.
4. Roll them into small Lemon-sized balls or spoon the batter on a greased and floured tray.
5. Bake it 200° c for 12-15 minutes or until done (Mine got done in 15 mins) .
6. Remove the macaroons and cool them on a wire rack.
7. Store in an air-tight container.
1.This recipe yields 20 macaroons.
2. The original recipe calls for 32 grams Maida. But for me half the measurement was perfect.
3. I prefer cardamom powder to vanilla essence for this recipe.