My Mom loves Dilkush a lot.. During our childhood vacations, whenever we travelled, she would buy these from the nearby bakery to have it on our way. She was the one asking me to bake this since last month.
As I googled, many recipes had the filling stuffed in buns. But that is not the perfect way. Actually the filling should be stuffed in puff pastry. So when I learnt to make my own puff pastry, I immediately tried this Dilkush and it was a big hit. MY MOM LOVED IT.
This will take you... all the way back to your childhood. Sweet memories. Nostalgic.
Homemade Puff Pastry - 1 batch
Dessicated coconut - 3 tbsp
Tutti frutti - 3 tbsp
Brown sugar - 1/2 tbsp
White sugar - 1/2 tbsp
Butter - 1/2 tbsp
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder- 1/4 tsp
For brushing on top:
Egg yolk or melted butter - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1 tbsp
1. Mix all the filling ingredients and microwave for about 20 seconds.
2. Filling is ready.
3. Roll the puff pastry dough to a 3mm thin sheet. Trim the edges to make a square. Cut it into 4 small squares.
|Steps 4, 5 & 6|
4. Place about 2 tsp of the filling on the centre of a square. Brush the four corners slightly with water. This helps them seal when pressed together.
5. Fold 2 opposite corners to the centre and press down firmly to seal them together.
6. Fold the other 2 corners over the and again press them firmly together.
7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 for the remaining 3 square puff pastry sheets.
8. Brush the top with melted butter+milk mixture or egg yolk+milk mixture.
9. Place it all in a lined and greased baking tray and bake it in a preheated 220° oven for about 15-20 minutes.
10. It's done.