Adapted from: Kalai's Recipe
Maida - 1 cup
Cooking butter - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Ice cold water - 6-8 tbsp
For layers :
Cooking butter for layers - 8 tbsp
Maida - 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp
1. Mix maida, butter, salt and sugar well. Add the water little by little and knead it to soft dough. Place it in a slightly floured tray covered with with cling film or cloth and refrigerate for 30 mins.
2. Take out the dough and roll it on a slightly floured workspace to a rectangle shape of 0.5 cm thick.
3. Grease 3/4 of the sheet with 6 tbsp of butter and sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of maida over it. Fold it as shown in the picture below. Place it on a slightly floured tray covered and again refrigerate for 30 mins.
4. Take out the dough and grease the remaining 2 tbsp butter all over and sprinkle 1/2 tsp maida over it. Fold it as shown in the picture below. Place it on a slightly floured tray covered and again refrigerate for 30 mins.
1. For this recipe, my 1 cup = 240ml
2. If the butter melts in between the process, refrigerate for 30 minutes and then continue.
3. For later use, wrap the dough in a cling wrap and store it in freezer for about 10 days. Before use, thaw naturally and refrigerate for 30 mins.