Plain flour - 100 gms
Puff margarine* - 25 gms
Room temperature Butter - 25 gms + 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Vinegar - 1/2 tsp
Ice cold water - as required
1. Mix flour, salt, sugar, vinegar, 1/2 tsp butter and ice cold water and knead to a soft dough.
2. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the margarine and butter to a smooth paste and divide it into 3 equal portions.
4. Now roll the dough lengthwise to a long 1/2 cm thick rectangular slab. (30*10 cm)
5. Take one portion of the butter paste and smear all over the slab and sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of flour over it.
6. Fold the dough into 3 and rotate it to 90° degrees as shown in picture below.
7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 twice and twice again without step 5 (skip smearing butter).
8. Finally freeze it for 15 minutes before use.
How to use:
1. Remove the pastry from freezer and roll it again lengthwise to 1/2 cm thick rectangular slab. (30*10 cm)
2. Cut it to desired shapes. Use it with your favourite filling or just plain. Brush whisked egg or milk on top.
3. Bake it at 220°c preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes.
To prepare puff margarine, just melt vanaspati. Do not overheat. Keep a bowl ready mixed with cold water and few ice cubes. Pour the melted vanaspati into the water. Using a fork, stir vigorously. The vanaspati will turn to white solid mass. Now remove the solid mass from water and squeeze it firmly to drain any water. Shape it to a block. Your puff margarine is ready.